Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Day 51: Randolph, UT to Coalville, UT

There was no shoulder heading south on route 16, but it was flat and I was heading toward civilization.  My excitement, if that’s what it was, diminished somewhat when I crossed back into Wyoming.  This was the first (and only) time I had increased the number of states between me and my goal.  But, it was a necessary evil in this case to take one step back so I could take a dozen steps forward on the mighty interstate that promised to carry me west in grand style.

As houses began to appear, then actual businesses, I resigned myself to the fact that I was unlikely to spot any buffalo, antelope, or other “exotic” creatures of the Great Plains.  I had seen a “Caution: Wild Horses” sign a few days back, but I didn’t have the good fortune to see a herd of galloping mustangs cross my path like a Marlboro or Chevy ad.  I was lucky enough to smell some horses as I passed Wyoming Downs Racetrack, so that was something.

I reached Evanston and grabbed a quick lunch before hopping on route 80.  It still felt weird to be riding in the breakdown lane of a major interstate highway, but after a mile or so I was comfortably in the groove.  The noise and stress of the traffic wasn’t ideal, but the view was still magnificent (if you blocked out the highway) and knowing there were people around if I got myself into trouble was a fair tradeoff.  Plus, with exits every ten miles or so, I knew I wouldn’t have to go all day without finding a spot to rest and refuel.  Then, as I approached the first exit, I got my first hint that things weren’t going to be all rainbows and unicorns.

“No Services.”  No biggie, it’s not that far to the next exit.  Where, as you might have already predicted, was a sign advertising “No Services.”  Well, so much for civilization.  The next two exits proved to be service-less as well.  The good news was that after climbing for the first four miles into a pass, the rest of the ride was downhill.  Weehaaa!

I eventually did find a gas station and was able to get a fresh sandwich and some chips.  I restocked my Gatorade and water supplies, and was right back in the slow lane.  I hit several construction zones along the highway, but most of them were inactive and easily navigated.  I was only forced to walk my bike a couple times over dug up ground.  Even though the day was warmer down in the lower elevations (upper 70s), I was feeling relatively hale and hearty by the time I reached the town of Echo, my final destination for the day.

Of course, the motel I had picked out for my night’s accommodations was closed and quite possibly abandoned.  No rest for the wicked, it seemed.  Nine miles farther south was Coalville.  Just off the exit there was an RV park with campsites situated right next to a luxurious Best Western.  I sat in the parking lot for a good five minutes debating between a cheap piece of dusty ground or a cushy bed.  As tempting as it was, I skulked into the RV park, staked out my plot of dirt, and set up my tent.  After a quick shower, I rode into town, bypassing the ubiquitous Subway, and found a nice little pub where I rustled up a wholesome burger and a couple well-earned beers.  Ah, civilization!

What I Learned: I was expecting motels to be plentiful and cheap when I got out west.  Neither of these conceits turned out to be true.  While there were motels to be had, they were often less than inviting, and were barely cheaper than staying at a generic but generally dependable chain hotel.  And, with reward points earned along the way, the brand name hotels would often end up being cheaper in the final tally. 

Distance Today: 73 miles
Total Distance: 2,771 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment