The day was hot, but I still managed to log a lot of miles thanks to the flat terrain and nothing more than a mild headwind that came and went throughout the day. I experimented with getting on the Cowboy Trail to see if that was any cooler than riding on the pavement, but it was just as hot (and much dustier). Strangely, the high point of the day was my third flat tire of the trip.
I stopped for a rest next to the big, electronic sign that was warning of road construction ahead. At least this bad omen was casting a patch of shade for me to take refuge in for a few minutes before tackling whatever mess was awaiting me. I woke up surprised to find that I had dozed off for about ten minutes. Thus refreshed and reinvigorated, I pushed my bike onto the road only to discover the rear tire was flat yet again. I was expecting this at some point during the day, so I was content that it happened earlier rather than later. I pulled all the bags off and flipped the bike there on the shoulder.
As I got to work, a pickup truck pulled over and the couple inside got out to ask if I needed any help. I let them know it was just a flat that I’d have swapped out in short order. Within five minutes of them leaving, two more passersby checked in to see if I was all right. I thanked everyone profusely for stopping, and was encouraged that if I ever do get into real trouble that I can be fairly confident that there’ll be a kind person ready to lend a stranger a hand (at least while I’m in Nebraska).
As I was working I noticed that the rear tire was significantly more worn that the front. This made sense since it was bearing more weight (i.e. the bulk of my fat ass). I decided to take the extra time to rotate the tires in hopes that putting the better tire on the rear would cut down on the chances of a flat until I was able to get my new tires. I was rolling again in about half an hour and feeling a lot more confident (even though I was riding on two patched tubes). Even better, the construction ended up being nothing more than some nearly completed crack patching. Sweet!
I was planning to get dinner in Nenzel near the end of the day, but after chatting with a guy and his dog who pulled over to ask about my ride I learned that there was no place to eat there. Luckily, he clued me in that Cody had a good bar & grill. He was right! I had my burger and beer while watching a shifting group of locals playing rapid-fire games of dealer’s choice poker. It was dark by the time I was finished eating. The good news was that the city park with camping spots that featured water, electric and showers was just across the street. All I had to do then was dodge the interlaced matrix of laser-like active sprinklers that surrounded the camping area!
What I Learned: The internet is no match for local knowledge! When you’re a stranger in a strange land talk to people every chance you get. Let them know what you’re doing and ask stupid questions. Most everyone I met was more than eager to provide me all sorts of insider information that sometimes contradicted my maps or online research and sometimes gave me better options that I didn’t even know were available.
Distance Today: 81 miles
Total Distance: 2,094 miles
No comments:
Post a Comment