Friday, July 3, 2015

Day 28: Odell, IL to Henry, IL

There were two developments as I approached the Illinois River. First, the corn fields gave way to some wooded areas. Yes! Whole bunches of trees all together in one place and everything. I couldn’t see any corn for almost three whole miles. Weird, man! My enjoyment of the new scenery was short-lived, however. I soon discovered that not being cradled between two pesticide-laden farm fields meant that this non-toxified zone was host to lots of bugs. Mean, biting, stinging, annoying, evil bugs!

Second, and more fun, was the first big downhill I’d encountered since leaving Pennsylvania. It was brief, but exhilarating. Even though I knew it meant a climb on the other side of the river, I sill enjoyed moving without pedaling for a change. I crossed into the small town of Henry, and quickly located the city park where I’d be camping gratis that night. The park had a swimming pool, which meant there were also showers – cold showers, but still much appreciated.

I got cleaned up and headed “downtown” for dinner. I had to choose between Dairy Queen and Grandma’s Bar. Hello, Granny! I’ll have a burger and a beer! It was dark by the time I was done eating, and when I stepped outside the flash of bright colored lights caught my eye. I turned the corner and there on the town common was a carnival. I had forgotten that it was the 4th of July weekend.

I wandered into the chaos with plans to get a treat for dessert, but when I saw that they wanted eight bucks for fried dough and six for caramel corn, I decided the melted yogurt pretzels in my handlebar bag would do just fine for tonight. Such a cheapskate. What I Learned: Hanging your wet clothes on the monkey bars over night to dry only makes them wetter.

Distance Today: 58 miles
Total Distance: 1,338 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment