Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Day 31: Muscatine, IA to Washington, IA

Started the day on a nice bike path along the Mississippi River.  It only lasted for about two miles before I was deposited on a road full of truck traffic.  I didn’t mind the trucks so much – it’s a real adrenaline rush when they brush by your left elbow at 50 MPH! – but the tiny shoulder was completely filled with a rumble strip.  I could get away with riding at the right edge of the travel lane most of the time, except when there was traffic coming in both directions.  In those cases, I had to judder over the rumble strip and pull into the weeds until the killer vehicles had passed.

It wasn’t long before I turned onto a good ol’ farm road and had the pavement all to myself for stretches of 20 to 30 minutes at a time.  I had set the goal when I started that morning to go a whole hour without seeing corn – I failed in this endeavor at the 53 minute mark.  The rest of the day was a matter of wending my way through the never-ending corn maze that is middle-America and ending up at a Pizza Hut for dinner. 

What I Learned: It’s not good to get a craving for fresh seafood in Iowa.

Distance Today: 48 miles
Total Distance: 1,505 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment