| Finally out of corn territory, and into hay country! ~ Click image to view more pics ~ |
I’m being unfair when I say there was nothing exciting going on. In O’Neill I did see a sign for Mud Drag Races. The sign was handwritten with the words so close together that when I first read it I thought it was advertising Mudd Rag Races. Not sure which of those would be more thrilling to watch.
At some point during the day I crossed into Cowboy Hat Country. I hadn’t seen any up to yesterday, and today saw at least eight.
I encountered three very unexpected places between the remote towns along lonely route 20. The first was a municipal golf course. It was, understandably, empty of golfers on this fine Sunday morning. I couldn’t imagine there could be more than 20 players within a hundred miles. Next there was an airport. The historical* marker explained that it was an Air Force training base during WWII and that ownership reverted to the local township in the 1950s. Why the town decided to maintain it is beyond me – who’s flying to Empty Hills, Nebraska? The most impressive, however, was a big sign midway between two towns announcing Racquetball Courts. Huh?! If there are only 20 golfers in the area, I can’t imagine there is more than one racquetball player!
What I Learned: Ya gotta love Nebraska!
* Kudos to Nebraska for using the grammatically correct term in their signs announcing “Historical Marker Ahead,” as compared to a few other states where I saw signs alerting visitors to their “Historic Markers.”
Distance Today: 67 miles
Total Distance: 2,013 miles
No comments:
Post a Comment