Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day 12: Macedon, NY to Holley, NY

I pulled out of Lock 30 just as the father/son team was pouring hot water on their dehydrated breakfast.  About a minute later, the downpour started.  I ducked beneath a convenient awning and donned my rain gear under the watchful eye of a ginger tabby cat perched in the store window I was parked in front of.  I waited for the rain to let up a little before jumping back on the road.  Five minutes later, the deluge resumed and was driven into the sanctuary of a McDonald’s where I hid out until my radar app said it was safe.

Moments after getting underway again, I was passed by the father/son duo.  If everything hadn’t been drenched, I would have been left choking on their dust as they quickly disappeared over the next rise.  Show offs!

I left the roads and hopped onto the Canalway trail near Rochester where it promised to be paved.  I got on a little too early and had to contend with a short stretch of gravel, but soon I was on a smooth track and quickly slipped though the city without having to deal with any traffic.  When the trail reverted back to a more primitive state, I escaped back to the roadways and was happy to find a pizza place almost immediately. 

As I was getting squared away to restart for the afternoon, the father/son team went by on the road and waved.  How the heck did I get in front of them?  About an hour later, I caught up to them at a gas station mini-mart leisurely enjoying peanut-butter bagels.  I suppose when you’re not trying to go all the way across the country you can afford to lollygag and indulge in such luxuries.  I grabbed a snack and a drink, watched some kids try out their new mini-motorcycle, and was back in the saddle.  I wanted to make it as far as Medina before stopping, or at the very least Albion.  What's that they say about the best laid plans...?

A couple hours later, I arrived at a little place called Holley.  It had a cute drawbridge, picnic tables, grass, and a gazebo overlooking the canal.  I went to take a look at the historic/informational sign and noticed a note tacked up there: “Capers must call to get the passcode to the shower.”  Free camping in this idyllic spot AND showers!  I was sold.  I picked a spot and was set up for the night without giving it a second thought.

I also had the great pleasure of meeting John.   He was cycling the Canalway tour from east to west and was going to be spending the night there so he could visit the local library in the morning.  After we each took our turns with the shower, and were feeling somewhat closer to human, we walked up the street to a diner and ordered up some traditional diner fare: a mess of chicken souvlaki!

John and I swapped details about what we were doing, how, and with what equipment.  He told me about his three high school/college-aged daughters and something of his travels.  Not only was he an amiable dining companion, but John had a genuine empathy for others that was hard not to recognize.  He offered up some great advice regarding what I was doing.  It wasn’t anything about which route to take, or the best spots to stay overnight.  He encouraged me to leave aside anyone else’s expectations and make the journey what I wanted it to be.  It was invigorating to talk to someone who not only “gets” what doing a thing like this is really about, but who is also willing give voice to those insights for the benefit of a total stranger. 

The poignancy of our conversation was somewhat marred, however, when the check came and I had to sheepishly confess that I’d left my wallet back in my tent.  Despite suspecting shenanigans, he ponied up for the tab after downing his third re-fill of decaf.  When we got back to camp, I made good on my half of the bill, and a peaceful night of contented slumber ensued.

Enjoy that Fuji when it arrives, John!

What I Learned: Don't have a beer at lunch when there's more riding to be done!  Dozing off at the handlebars while you're riding alongside a deep canal is not the ideal way to go about things.

Distance Today: 46 miles
Total Distance: 500 miles!


No comments:

Post a Comment