Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 02: Chelmsford, MA to Westminster, MA

Click image for more pics
I wanted to get an early start on this, the "official" start of my ride. Problem was that I didn't have the cable/converter/adapter that would allow my deranged GPS to talk to my tablet.  I figured I'd pack up first thing in the morning, then zip out to Staples when they opened and I'd be on the road by 10:30 at the latest.  My optimism proved to be wildly off the mark.

I only found one possible solution to my connectivity issue, bought the octopus-like array of wires and connectors, and hurried home.  I did a quick test of the gizmo, and after several different configurations determined that it didn't work.  While I was screwing around with this, I though of three other last minute things I forgot to do.  While rushing around to do those, I remembered a couple more!

Finally, I realized I had to just stop messing about and get on the bike or I wouldn't end up leaving until the next day.  (Plus, I didn't want Soo to catch me still there when she got home from work at 3:00.)  I got into my cycling costume and at 2:00 I rushed off into the great unknown (Or, more accurately, the great very well known thanks to Google.  How did Columbus discover anything without the internet?).

I passed through a series of local towns with enthusiastic aplomb: Westford, Groton, Ayer, Shirley, and Lunenburg.  Fitchburg got a little sketchy, but I managed to navigate the confusing snarl of criss-crossing urban roads and routes (usually without the benefit of a shoulder more than a few inches wide).

While going over route 2 in Westminster, I got my first angry beep!  A proud moment, indeed.  Apparently, the guy was annoyed that he had to wait an extra four seconds to get onto the highway while I pedaled past his own personal on-ramp.  Despite the horror of my egregious act of affrontry to the automobiled world, we all somehow survived intact.  Besides, I had a bigger problem to worry about.

It was getting dark.  Not only would I not make my target camping destination before sundown, but I hadn't even had dinner yet!  As I was contemplating my dire situation, a Rodeway Inn appeared on the horizon like a shabby, blue oasis.  The parking lot was inexplicably packed, but the fates smiled upon me: there was a cancellation and they had one room available.  I took it even though it was a smoking room, and was gouged for 75 smackers to bask in the glory of my sub-1-star accommodations.

I hiked in the dark to the Chinese take-out place about 1.3 miles away, carried it back to the flop house, and devoured the cashew chicken and boneless spare ribs combo down to the last grain of rice.  I had plenty of chores I could have done, but instead I passed out almost instantly.

What I Learned:  No matter how much you prepare, you'll never be ready.

Distance Today: 34 miles
Total Distance: 71 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment