Got up early, cleaned and oiled my chain, packed up, and hit
the road. At midday, I came to a section of freshly paved road. It was like riding on butter. Although, butter probably would be too
slippery to bike on. Nonetheless, it was
smooth and creamy. This thrill lasted
until I saw the “Construction Ahead” sign.
Road heaven abruptly ended and I was unceremoniously tossed into cyclist
hell. The next four miles was nothing
but chewed up, grated badlands. I was
able to manage the flats, losing only a couple teeth along the way, but the
hills were impossible. The shoulder was
so rough and filled with rubbled debris that I had to walk the bike for several long stretches. This added more than an hour to my day.
Even with the delay, I managed to work my way around the Quabbin Reservoir and cross the Connecticut
River at Sunderland just after dinnertime.
My plan was to stealth camp in the Mt. Sugarloaf State Reservation. Problem was that all the ground in the park
was at about a 60-degree angle. The
nearby sounds of a girls’ softball game caught my attention. Once the game was over and the field was
empty, I set up my tent behind the third base dugout and passed a quiet evening
in the great, flat outdoors.
No comments:
Post a Comment