Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mission Statement

Why am I doing this?  How the f@*K should I know?

I suppose my reasons are somewhat intangible, but still provide enough motivation for me to attempt the impractical undertaking of riding across the U.S. on a bike with no cycling experience as an out-of-shape almost-50-year-old lazy person.  Note that I'm being careful to use the word "attempt"!

One of the big factors behind this for me is the grand adventure aspect of it all.  I'd love to be able to put a substantial accomplishment like this on my life resume.  Despite the fact that there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of people who do this whole cross-country tour thing each year, I still want to be able to say, "I did it."  That being said, I'm perfectly aware that I very well may NOT be able to do it!  Even so, I feel at this point that I at least have to give it a try and see how far I can make it.  In theory, as long as I don't get myself flattened by a Mack truck, get shot while passing through Cleveland, or suffer a debilitating injury I should be able to physically complete the journey.  The question then becomes: Do I have the mental fortitude to pull this thing off?

The answer is a definitive maybe.  The other big factor, as far as I'm concerned, is viewing this trip as a test.  I know there will be plenty of discomfort, frustration, and pain along the way.  Especially pain.  It's important for me to find out if I have the willpower and psychological stamina to endure the negative forces working against me and persevere in achieving the arbitrary goal I've set for myself.  If you're thinking that I should have tested myself when I was much younger and had this stuff figured out by my age, I have to agree with you!

There's also a touch of a "live life while you can" sort of thing going on as well.  I can easily spend the rest of my life thinking about all the things that I'd like to do if I only had the time, the money, was in better shape, had the training, yada, yada, yada, or I can get out there and try to make something happen.  Some have referred to this folly of mine as an effort to tick something off my "bucket list."  I don't really have such a list, and until a few days ago this ride wouldn't have been on it even if I did.  I know there are a host of unique moments waiting for me out there on the road that I'll never experience if I stay safely ensconced on my sofa in front of my big-screen TV being fed the internet through an intravenous tube.

Finally, as a by-product of months of relentless physical activity, I'm hoping for some health improvements as well.  I'm not expecting much.  Maybe just losing 70 pounds, gaining a full head of Sampsonesque hair, and being cast in a featured role in Magic Mike 3!

Hey, if you're gonna dream, why not dream big?  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment