It didn't take me long to score my first bike flop. I was coming to a stop on the homestretch of a 13-mile ride and a stick got caught up in my front wheel. The hellacious screeching noise alerted me immediately that something was going horribly wrong, but it took me a few seconds to figure out where the sound was coming from. By the time I noticed the wedged stick, I had lost most of my forward momentum. As I began tipping over to the right, my brain was kind enough to remind me, "Hey, dummy, you know you forgot to un-clip from the pedals." By that time I was beyond the point of no return and ignominiously dumped myself onto the side of the road amidst the pine needles.
The good news, other than getting my first crash out of the way, is that the bike survived with only a minor twist of the right brake lever. I, however, was critically wounded, as you can see from the photo, and my very survival hung in the balance. The panicked doctors in the medevac helicopter recommended immediate amputation, but being the stalwart bicycle warrior that I am I told them I'd just rub some dirt on it and walk it off.
Stats for the day:
| Miles: |
|
12.95 |
| Time: |
|
1 hr 20 min |
| Avg MPH: |
|
9.7 |
No comments:
Post a Comment