Friday, May 22, 2015

D-Day

I've selected my Departure Day!  I'm setting off on my trip Saturday morning, June 6th.

If you assume that I arrived at this date after careful consideration, detailed analysis, and sensible deference to the task I'm about to undertake, you'd be woefully wrong.  I just liked the idea of my Departure Day coinciding with the anniversary of D-Day.  If I really wanted to, I suppose I could gin up some sort of cogent metaphor to justify picking this date as some sort of symbolic gesture, but it's really just me being frivolous.  I'm sure that doesn't speak to the larger issue of my chances for success, does it?

A few days before June 6th, I'm planning on taking a ride to Boston and camping overnight.  This will give me a chance to do an equipment shake out, but it will also allow me to say I rode from Boston to San Francisco without being a filthy liar.  I suppose while I'm there I'll have to do the corny ritual of dipping my rear wheel in the Atlantic Ocean so that I can dunk my front wheel in the Pacific (if I make it that far).

Now that the date is set, you can begin the betting pool on what day I'll be back - and you can't all put your money on June 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment